Saturday 22 May 2004

S'not exactly like home...

Wow, just getting over a major flu. And I mean major! Snot flying, phlegm gurgling, head aching, muscles screaming, fever at…well…fever pitch. I think the weather here is just something that I will never get used to. Bleh.



Well, now that I've cleared the many piles of tissue and tea mugs out of my way, I can concentrate on school. The summer semester has started very well indeed. I have 4 courses, and all seem to be interesting. The only course I have that looks like major trouble is an English grammar course that involves a lot of linguistic garbage that just trips me up and makes me cry. It's like the bully course on the playground. Maybe if I give it my lunch money I'll get an ok grade.



Besides the above necessity course, my other English this term is Shakespeare Romance and Tragedy. Egads and little fishes I love English! I miss it, and the crazy prof's that seem to be part and parcel of the whole department. My prof. for the Shakespeare course fits the profile. He says interesting things like “the sound of a toilet flushing is one of the best sounds in the world” or “Hamlet's suicide soliloquy is interesting as he's worried about the afterlife. I mean maybe he'll follow in the family business and become a tortured ghost like his dad.” Too brilliant. But then he also says things like “ignorance does not bother me, but choosing to stay in ignorance sickens me.”



My 2 folklore courses are very interesting and great as always, and I've been talking to some of the sessional instructors about grad school, and courses, etc. and receiving some fantastic advice. Such good advise that I may even be able to finish grad school a tad sooner than planned if I can follow through on a few grand schemes. We'll see what happens. But I do so love scheming. And plotting. And capers. Not the little peppery things, but actual escapades.



Currently looking for a house for July 1 st . I'll give notice in a week, and so will Leslie and Nick, and the three of us will find a place and set up house. Then, in August/September, Gillian and Anya, our fourth and fifth, will come back and we will be a happy (though probably dysfunctional) little family. I think it will be good times, and I know it will save money.

Alright, that is all. I know this is a little lame, but that's what happens when you're not used to freezing temperatures one day, and muggy tropics the next, with the wind as the only constant. Illness has sapped much of the life out of me. Bleh.



Now, hopefully by the end of the month I will get pictures posted. They should have been posted a while ago, but I'm lazy and my brother is a busy man.



Viva la Vancouver!! How I miss thee, Lotus Land!



Your still sniffling, yet ever battling, Venus. VF

No comments:

Post a Comment